Fall Fitness: Your Guide to Staying Motivated
The Impact of Fall on Your Fitness Routine
Even if you’re not shuttling kids back to school or in a climate where autumn brings changing leaves and dropping
temperatures, there tends to be a shift in our schedules and moods that comes with the start of fall. Lindsay
Ogden, a National Academy of Sports Medicine–certified personal trainer at for Life Time, explains that fewer
daylight hours can result in spending less time outdoors, especially in the evenings or early mornings.
Motivation for outdoor workouts may decline due to the darkness during these times.
Ways to Stay Motivated During Fall
Here are some practical tips to help you maintain your fitness routine during the fall season:
- Adjust Your Workout Schedule: If shorter days affect your outdoor exercise routine, consider shifting your
workouts to daylight hours or exploring indoor alternatives.
- Find Indoor Exercise Options: Look for gyms or fitness centers that provide indoor workout spaces or classes
where you can stay active regardless of weather conditions.
- Set Clear Goals: Establish specific goals to stay motivated. Examples include completing a certain number of
workouts per week or achieving specific fitness milestones.
- Get a Workout Buddy: Find a friend or family member who shares your fitness goals and exercise together.
Having a workout partner can boost accountability and make workouts more enjoyable.
- Try New Activities: Fall can be a great time to explore different exercise options, such as indoor rock
climbing, yoga, dance classes, or swimming in an indoor pool. Embrace variety to keep your workouts
- Invest in Home Workout Equipment: Consider purchasing equipment like dumbbells, resistance bands, or a
treadmill to create a fall-friendly home gym.
Benefits of Staying Active During Fall
Continuing your fitness routine during the fall can bring numerous benefits:
- Maintain Energy Levels: Regular exercise helps combat the potential fatigue that often accompanies the
change in seasons.
- Boost Immune System: Physical activity supports a healthy immune system, reducing the risk of fall-related
- Manage Stress: Exercise is known to reduce stress levels, which can be particularly important as demands
increase during the fall season.
- Improve Mood: The release of endorphins during exercise promotes feelings of happiness and well-being.
- Burn Extra Calories: Staying active can counterbalance the indulgence of fall treats and prevent unwanted
Incorporating Fall Fitness into Your Daily Routine
Here are some creative ways to incorporate fitness into your daily fall routine:
- Take Advantage of Nature: Enjoy the beauty of fall by going for walks or hikes in scenic areas with vibrant
- Embrace Active Outdoor Activities: Engage in fall-related activities like apple picking, pumpkin carving,
or playing outdoor sports with friends and family.
- Integrate Fitness Breaks: Incorporate short exercise breaks into your day, such as stretching or walking
during work breaks or taking the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Join Local Fitness Events: Participate in community-based fitness events like charity runs or
neighborhood fitness challenges to stay motivated.
Fall may bring changes to our schedules and moods, but it doesn’t have to disrupt our fitness routines. By adapting
and staying motivated, we can continue to prioritize our health and well-being. Adjust your workout schedule, find
indoor exercise options, set clear goals, find a workout buddy, try new activities, and invest in home workout
equipment. Staying active during fall brings various benefits, including increased energy levels, a boosted immune
system, stress management, improved mood, and preventing unwanted weight gain. Incorporate fitness into your daily
fall routine by taking advantage of nature, embracing outdoor activities, integrating fitness breaks, and joining
local events. Embrace the season and maintain a healthy lifestyle!